Madara Mason

Madara Mason's hats include painter, graphic designer, Instructional Designer, faculty educator, English Instructor, food blogger, and Oxford Comma Aficionado. If she's not in front of an easel, she's in front of a screen, or in front of a classroom. Her motto is "If you're not having fun, you're probably doing it wrong."

Meet the  2014-15 UAF CITE Fellows!

We are very excited to welcome these faculty into the second year of CITE Fellows.  Their experience, dedication, and fearless enthusiasm served as a catalyst for other UAF faculty. eCampus is always looking for ways to support teaching and learning, and this has been one of our most exciting initiatives.

Dr. Nicole Cundiff

Assistant Professor of Business Administration

Northern Leadership Center Director

Dr. Cundiff has published in the Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Management Research Review, Research in Higher Education, and the American Journal of Evaluation. She has also a book chapter titled “Discrimination Against Women Leaders” in Women as Transformational Leaders: From Grassroots to Global Interests (Eds. Paludi & Coates). She earned her undergraduate, master’s degree, and Ph.D. in applied psychology with an additional master’s in business administration from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
As Director of the Northern Leadership Center, Dr. Cundiff plans to expand the reach of the NLC to include statewide programs and leadership development projects. Her focus is to engage the students and the community in multiple dimensions of leadership. Dr. Cundiff enjoys volunteering for the Fairbanks community and exploring new and exciting outdoor activities with her kids.

Dr. Sarah Hayes

Assistant Professor of Environmental Analytical Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry

“I only teach the fun kind of chemistry” is Sarah Hayes’ favorite response to the typical look of terror on people’s faces when she tells them her profession. And it’s true. Using instruments, chemists are able to detect phenomena that are not accessible using our normal senses. Dr. Hayes guides students in understanding how these expensive toys work, provides hands on experiences, and explains proper data treatment. This takes place through formal class work and independent research projects. She believes in the power of the small group learning environment, both in the classroom and and research lab. Students learn best when faculty can engineer small groups of students and direct mentor/student interactions, and that is what she strives to do in her courses. Dr. Hayes’ research focuses on examining how toxic elements move around in the environment and how how toxic they are as well as how scientists can optimize extraction of elements needed in high tech and alternative energy applications. She keeps active and explores Alaska with her dog.

Daryl Farmer

Assistant Professor of English and Creative Writing, English Department

Daryl Farmer is an assistant professor in the English Department at UAF. He teaches literary nonfiction and fiction writing classes and serves as the director of the Midnight Sun Visiting Writers Series and faculty advisor for the literary journal Permafrost. He received his Ph.D. in creative writing from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Farmer is the author of Bicycling beyond the Divide, which received a Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writer’s Award in 2008 and was a Colorado Book Award finalist. His literary interests include literature about the environment and contemporary U.S. West lit. His hobbies include hiking, bicycling, kayaking and photography.

Dr. Sabine Siekmann

Associate Professor of Linguistics and Foreign Languages
PI Improving Alaska Native Language Education through Computer Assisted Language Learning

Sabine Siekmann is Associate Professor of Linguistics and Foreign Languages. She holds a PhD in Second Language Acquisition and Instruction Technology from the University of South Florida. Her research interests include bilingualism, applications of Sociocultural Theory in language learning, technology integration in language learning and teacher professional development through distance education. Since arriving in Alaska in 2005 she has been involved in a series of grant-funded projects supporting Alaska Native (Language) Education through graduate education and materials development. She is currently Principal Investigator on the Improving Alaska Native Education through Computer Assisted Language Learning (ANE CALL) grant, which supports 4 Alaska Native PhD students and 14 MA students working with Alaska Native students throughout Alaska. As part of this grant students are developing pedagogical innovations that use classroom technology with the goal of improving student engagement. A native of Germany, Sabine is raising her two young children bilingually using the One Parent One Language model and is an avid tennis player.

Dr. Joanne Healy

Assistant Professor of Special Education

School of Education

Dr. Joanne Healy has worked as an educator in Alaska for 30 years. She developed a nationally recognized parent and toddler literacy project, and a long standing cross-age summer tutoring project. Joanne has more than 21 years experience in K-12 special education and most recently developed the special education teacher certification and masters program at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She enjoys all aspects of education, especially collaboration between families, and local, state, and national resource agencies. She is the Alaska State Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Board Past President and has served as the Alaska Representative Assembly designee at the National CEC Convention for four years. Joanne serves on the National Affiliate Relations Board of the Autism Society and was named 2014 Autism Society Volunteer of the Year. She is a Co-Investigator on a National Science Foundation Grant, “Factors Related to Teacher Retention in Arctic Alaska”. Her research interests include collaborative partnerships, teacher retention, and student engagement. Personal interests include travel, horseback riding and fun family time.

Sean McGee

Instructor of Homeland Security and Emergency Management

Sean McGee considers himself to be a rookie instructor and that’s exactly why we picked him as a CITE Fellow. He also brings with him a long career as a police officer and Chief of Police at UAF for more than 7 years. This kind of career change often brings with it 

He’s learned to overcome the challenges associated with synchronous delivery to local and remote locations throughout Alaska in a very short time. In his courses he uses a blended classroom model which gives him the ability to leverage current technology in a manner that allows him to best meet the students’ needs. I want to continue to refine and pursue these interests. I haven’t had much time to travel during the course of my prior career, my work has always required that I remain nearby. I’m looking forward to traveling far more now in my current career.

Christopher Iceman

Assistant Professor of Chemistry,

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry

Some professors, when we asked them for a bio, gave us a long list of accomplishments (and they’re certainly accomplished) and although Dr. Christopher Iceman has his own list, he gave us a narrative instead that reflects the great breadth of interests and passion in his life. It’s this characteristic specifically that makes him an innovator. Dr. Iceman’s penchant for treating his entire life as a classroom is exactly the thing we love to see in a CITE Fellow since it means his project will reflect that philosophy. Here is is bio:

“I grew up in one of the hottest places in the world outside of a desert, Redding, California. My sisters and friends and I all built more bike jumps and forts than was healthy. I suppose it is no surprise that I now live in one of the coldest places on earth. My whole life has centered around learning. I like to think that I have been in school for 34 years and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I hope that students I teach also catch this same fire for learning. I love working with my hands and mechanic-ing just about anything, from telemark bindings to motherboards to road bikes. I have been a college athlete and still to this day love to watch cartoons. Most of my learned skills benefit me in my daily life where I am constantly fixing computers and mass spectrometers as well as molding the chemical minds of my students. I am a father of two boys that love attention and chicken nuggets and twinkies. My wife and I love to watch tv together and spend a great majority of our time thinking of science before we go to sleep. It really is a great life!”